07 September 2008

Ben Ime

Today I went up Ben Ime, which is a Munro (a hill of over 300ft / 914m). Ben Ime is 1011m high.

It was very clear, and from the summit to the north-west I could see what I thought was the Isle of Rum. It's the jagged peaks on the skyline in the picture below. I checked this on the map afterwards and it is certainly the right direction. Rum is 76 miles (122 km) from Ben Ime.

I also had excellent views of the other nearby hills. To the south I could see the Cobbler (884m).

To the east I could see Loch Lomond, Loch Arklet, Loch Katrine and Ben Ledi beyond.

1 comment:

Fred and Sarah said...

From the summit of Ben Ime I could also clearly see Ailsa Craig to the south. This is a distance of 71 miles (114 km) - almost as far as Rum.

Websites that calculate horizon distance from given altitudes can be found at www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm and boatsafe.com/tools/horizon.htm though the results obtained are a bit different.

Possibly a more accurate method for calculation can be found at www.sailingissues.com/vier/mathproof2.html

All these sites show that seeing Rum from Ben Ime is well within the bounds of possibility.

Post a Comment